Re: cygwin build of xemacs (-nw) and inetd/telnetd

On Monday 15 Feb 99, Andy Piper writes:
> At 04:52 PM 2/14/99 +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> >I just completed a cygwin B20.1 build of xemacs-21.0.63 on NT4/SP4.  I
> >am also using Sergey's remote package, providing inetd & telnetd.  The
> >goal of this effort is to run xemacs -nw in a (remote) telnet session.
> >GNU nt-emacs is known not to work under these circumstances.
> >
> >Unfortunately, xemacs does not seem to be getting certain keystrokes,
> >namely DEL and C-g.  Is there something special that I must do for
> >these to work properly?
>
> There is some wierd voodoo to do with DEL that got introduced in 21.0,
> someone may be able to answer this question on xemacs-beta (to which I have
> copied). ^G not working seems wierd to me. There was a bug in cygwin tty
> handling which meant ^G got interpreted wrongly - but this was fixed ages
> ago (back in b19). You could try generating an strace and see what comes
> out when you hit ^G.

Thank for the pointer to xemacs-beta, I may pursue the issue there.  I
later ran across some discussion of this, while searching the
xemacs-beta archives for something else.  In any case, my current
workaround is:

	1) Accept that BS (actually, C-h) performs
	   delete-backward-char with my existing tty setting, so I
	   don't really need a DEL key.

	2) Accept f1 for 'help-command.  (My NT telnet client doesn't
	   pass f1 directly, but it's easy enough to configure a
	   mapping that works.)

	3) Use M-ESC ESC (keyboard-escape-quit) where I would normally
	   use C-g.  Obviously I would prefer to have C-g working
	   directly.

Regards,
David