Re: Here documents in ash shell scripts mess up stdin on 9x

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 02:16:44AM +0000, Mikey wrote:
>The subject is here documents in ash, not ash bugs in general.
>
>The other bug that I noticed that caused me to go back to B19 ash is
>that B20 ash fails to read/execute $SHINIT, which is how I get it to
>read ~/.shrc on startup.
>
>Sorry Chris, I know you did most of the work on "upgrading" ash, but I
>really can't see the point to adding console math functions in an sh
>compatible shell.  I don't recall them being there in svr4, but maybe
>my memory is bad?

It's possible, if you think that /bin/sh should do something with a
SHINIT variable.  That's not standard behavior.

If I inadvertantly added "console math functions" then it was
inattention on my part when I merged the Debian changes.  I will take a
look at stripping out any baggage that I added.

I've seen people complaining about the supposed HERE document problems
in ash on Windows 95.  So far that is the only problem I've heard that
sounds remotely like a real problem.  Most of the other "problems"
are complaints from people who think that ash should behave exactly
the same way as bash except for being smaller and faster.

cgf