App Errors - a suggestion

> ----------
> From: 	Robert B. Peirce
> Sent: 	1999年2月12日 0:07:37
> To: 	uwin-users@research.att.com
> Subject: 	App Errors - a suggestion
> Auto forwarded by a Rule

I have been testing two hypothesis.  1 is that these errors ONLY occur after
a pipe '|' and two is that they never ocur twice.

There may be something wrong with the way ksh handles pipes that is tweaked
by something in my system, and this may be related to some kind of timing
problem that gets corrected on the second run.

I noticed that I have never had a failure running a straight program that
does not involve pipes.  However, I had several failures today and all but
one certainly followed a pipe and the one in question may have.  That was a
pr command in dircmp.  The commands ALWAYS worked correctly when I restarted
them.  Here is my latest summary:

The application failed to initialize properly (hex).

Hypothesis 1: "Application Failed" ALWAYS follows '|'.
Hypothesis 2: Failed program ALWAYS works the second time.

02/11/99

	ck-s.d.out
| field	0xc0000043	cut like command

	dircmp | more
| more	0xc0000043
| sort	0xc0000043	inside dircmp

	dircmp | more	[third run at another location]
| more	0xc0000043
| sort	0xc0000043	inside dircmp

	dircmp | more	[later run at another location]
| more	0xc0000043
| sort	0xc0000043	inside dircmp
| pr		0xc0000043	inside dircmp [h1 possible but not certain]

	dircmp | more	[later run at another location]
| more	0xc0000043
| sort	0xc0000043	inside dircmp

end