vim and xterm/rxvt

Hi,

I just compiled and installed X11R6.4 and rxvt for cygwin32 B20.1 on
Win98.  When I tried to run vi in a rxvt session, I got the following
error after I typed the very first key:
    Vim: Error reading input, exiting...
    Vim: Finished.

If I run vi in xterm, it does not response to any keystroke.  I must
kill the process to get out.

Whether putting "tty" in CYGWIN and/or CYGWIN32 makes little difference.
What is could be wrong?

Thanks.

Yin Zhou

P.S.  I searched the archive of this newsgroup, there is one related post,
about use more/less in rxvt/xterm, but was no definite answer.