Re: make and .exe targets (more info)

Thanks Ken,

I am appending the output of make -p winhello.exe...

John Fortin

Ken Weinert wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:21:02 -0500, John Fortin wrote:
>

>         Is the /cygnus on your C drive?
> yes
>         Do you have a /bin with sh.exe in it?
> yes
>         Do you have the environment variable UNIX_MAKE set?
> yes
>         Have you exported your PATH variable?
> yes
>         These are somewhat related questions as i suspect that your
> configuration is a bit different when running under make than the
> command line.
>
>         None of these suggestions/questions are guaranteed to help :-)
> - --
> Ken Weinert   kenw@ihs.com
>
> A catseye among aggies, blinking in astonishment across the face of time.
>
> ** Tag(s) inserted by Bandit Tagger98 - http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c918704
>
> PGP Public Key Fingerprint: C2DD 7F7C 3331 5107  31BE 93D8 BA6B 9199

> Version: PGPsdk version 1.0 (C) 1997 Pretty Good Privacy, Inc
>
> iQA/AwUBNrs8VrprkZnq6EGGEQJufwCeM8GM0/kL2cI4x8eRfLViKLtNXw0AoLhY
> wJahuN3amjWO8PT4CM0MwC8b
> =UpgH

GNU Make version 3.75, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96
 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@prep.ai.mit.edu>.

Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `Makefile'.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.o'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.c'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.cc'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.C'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.p'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.f'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.F'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.r'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.s'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.S'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.mod'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.sh'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile,v'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile,v'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.o'.
  Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.o'.
   Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.c'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.cc'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.C'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.p'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.f'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.F'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.r'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.s'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.S'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.mod'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.o'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.o,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.o'.
   Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.o,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.o'.
   Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.o'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.o'.
   Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.o'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.c'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.c'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.y'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.l'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.w'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.w'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.c'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.c,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.c'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.c,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.c'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.c'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.c'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.c'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.y'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.y'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.y'.
     Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.y,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.y'.
     Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.y,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.y'.
     Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.y'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.y'.
     Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.y'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.l'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.l'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.l'.
     Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.l,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.l'.
     Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.l,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.l'.
     Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.l'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.l'.
     Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.l'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.w'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.w'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.w'.
     Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.w,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.w'.
     Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.w,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.w'.
     Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.w'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.w'.
     Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.w'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.w'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.cc'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.cc'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.cc'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.cc,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.cc'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.cc,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.cc'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.cc'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.cc'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.cc'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.C'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.C'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.C'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.C,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.C'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.C,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.C'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.C'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.C'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.C'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.p'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.p'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.web'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.p'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.p,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.p'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.p,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.p'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.p'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.p'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.p'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.web'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.web'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.web'.
     Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.web,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.web'.
     Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.web,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.web'.
     Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.web'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.web'.
     Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.web'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.f'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.f'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.F'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.r'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.f'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.f,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.f'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.f,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.f'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.f'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.f'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.f'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.F'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.F'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.F'.
     Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.F,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.F'.
     Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.F,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.F'.
     Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.F'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.F'.
     Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.F'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.r'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.r'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
     Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.l'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.r'.
     Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.r,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.r'.
     Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.r,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.r'.
     Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.r'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.r'.
     Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.r'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.F'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.r'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.s'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.s'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.S'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.s'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.s,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.s'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.s,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.s'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.s'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.s'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.s'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.S'.
    Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.S'.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.S'.
     Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.S,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.S'.
     Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.S,v'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.S'.
     Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.S'.
     Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.S'.
     Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.S'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.S'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.mod'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.mod'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.mod'.
    Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.mod,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.mod'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.mod,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.mod'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.mod'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.mod'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.mod'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.c'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.cc'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.C'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.p'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.f'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.F'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.r'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.s'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.S'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `Makefile.mod'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.sh'.
  Looking for a rule with intermediate file `Makefile.sh'.
   Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit dependency `Makefile.sh,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit dependency `RCS/Makefile.sh,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit dependency `s.Makefile.sh'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile.sh'.
   Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.Makefile.sh'.
  No implicit rule found for `Makefile'.
  Finished dependencies of target file `Makefile'.
 No need to remake target `Makefile'.
Updating goal targets....
Considering target file `winhello.exe'.
 Looking for an implicit rule for `winhello.exe'.
 Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
 Trying implicit dependency `winhello.c'.
 Found an implicit rule for `winhello.exe'.
  Considering target file `winhello.c'.
   Looking for an implicit rule for `winhello.c'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.y'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.l'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.w'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.w'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.c'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.c,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.c'.
   Trying implicit dependency `RCS/winhello.c,v'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.c'.
   Trying implicit dependency `s.winhello.c'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.c'.
   Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.winhello.c'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.y'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `winhello.y'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.y'.
    Trying implicit dependency `winhello.y,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.y'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/winhello.y,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.y'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.winhello.y'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.y'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.winhello.y'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.l'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `winhello.l'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.l'.
    Trying implicit dependency `winhello.l,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.l'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/winhello.l,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.l'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.winhello.l'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.l'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.winhello.l'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Trying implicit dependency `winhello.w'.
   Looking for a rule with intermediate file `winhello.w'.
    Avoiding implicit rule recursion.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.w'.
    Trying implicit dependency `winhello.w,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.w'.
    Trying implicit dependency `RCS/winhello.w,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.w'.
    Trying implicit dependency `s.winhello.w'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello.w'.
    Trying implicit dependency `SCCS/s.winhello.w'.
   Trying pattern rule with stem `winhello'.
   Rejecting impossible implicit dependency `winhello.w'.
   No implicit rule found for `winhello.c'.
   Finished dependencies of target file `winhello.c'.
  No need to remake target `winhello.c'.
 Finished dependencies of target file `winhello.exe'.
 Dependency `winhello.c' is newer than dependent `winhello.exe'.
Must remake target `winhello.exe'.
gcc -mwindows winhello.c -o winhello.exe
Putting child 0x0a038f90 PID 01413 on the chain.
Live child 0x0a038f90 PID 1413
/cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/i586-cygwin32/bin/ld: cannot open output file
winhello.exe
: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Live child 0x0a038f90 PID 1413
Reaping losing child 0x0a038f90 PID 1413
make: *** [winhello.exe] Error 1