ERROR: can not find channel named stderr

I'm trying to compile a C program that links in the Tcl/Tk libraries using
gcc/Cygwin B20.1 running under Windows 98.  (I'm using Richard Hipp's mktclapp
to generate the source code, see
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/mktclapp/mktclapp.html for exact details.  I've done
this under Unix and it works fine.)

I compiled with: "gcc appinit.c -Wl,--subsystem,windows,-e_mainCRTStartup
-ltk80 -ltcl80 -lm" and got my a.exe with no errors or warnings.  (The
-e_mainCRTStartup is a workaround I found in the archive to keep from getting
"warning: "cannot find entry symbol _WinMainCRTStartup; defaulting to
00401000".)

When I run the program, I get a message box with the title "Application
initialization failed" that reports "can not find channel named stderr".
Could anyone tell me what I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks,

Dave Wolfe
gForce Technologies Inc.
-