RE: nmake and '\' style path ...

\ is an escape character to the cygnus shell (like it is to all
true shells).  Hence if you want a literal backslash, you must use
two backslashes.

More to the point, if you are going to use the cygnus shell, you
should use the cygnus make (or your own compilation of gnumake)
which understands forward slashes.  Do not use that horrible
excuse for a make utility that Microsoft foists on unsuspecting
developers as a way to reduce their productivity.

-Peter

-