Re: gcc installation with NT

On 30 Nov 98, Fred Marshall had questions about gcc installation
with NT:

> I started with the idea of installing g77.  I understand that it
> requires B19 - which is what I have.  I also understand that it
> requires gcc.  OK. I also understand that gcc requires djgpp to
> install under Windows.
>
> I'm running Win NT 4 SP3 and want to install g77.

I don't understand; AFAIK, djgpp and cygwin are completely
different setups (djgpp is a 32bit DOS port of gcc, while cygwin is
a unix-like dll and all the associated gnu tools, gcc, etc.

If you have the cygwin b19, you just need the coolview .dll and the
egcs update (the latter has gcc, g++, and g77 support).  There are
a few library bugs/features in the cygwin stuff that don't quite
conform to either the C standard or the normal GNU extensions.
Unless you need the cygwin .dll (ie, for unix compatibility), you'd
be better off using the mingw32 stuff; at least the stdlib stuff
works right.  Check out the following stuff (the gcc 2.8.1 works
for me):

http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html

Hope this helps, Steve