Re: BUG: md5sum b20 BIG error rate ~40%

> I have text!=binary mounts myself, my prefered mode.  I just ran
> md5sum on all dll's in the Windows/System32 directory and did not have
> your problem.

try the following it fails under win95 and nt 4sp3 with or without Sergey's dll.

cd windir (windows or winnt)
find ./ -name \*.dll -exec md5sum {} \; | sort | tee -a
/temp/checksums.md5

This will create severeal "groupings" of identical digest hashes.
BTW Geoffrey Noer has since confirmed by email that he is
aware of the problem with the md5sum.exe executable and that it
will be fixed with the upcoming "20.1" release.

> Do you have the updated cygwin1.dll from the coolview package on
> Sergey Okhapkin's site installed?

doesn't make any difference and it also doesn't matter whether I
supply the "-b" switch on the command line or not. It fails either
way.

Geoffrey Noer's answer suggests that he will fix the "-b" switch to
actually work. I stated above on my machines it fails regardless
of whether I supplied the "-b" switch on the command line or not.
So I don't know if the full extent of the problem is known to
Geoffrey or not?

Is it safe to use the "-b" switch on any and every file? At times I
would like to get a hash digest for every file in a directory tree
and the laziest way to do it is to use the above "find" one-liner
and use "-b" for all files.

> ==

----
Urs RAU