Re: stat() bug?

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Haynes, Dan wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>   I don't know if this is expected behaviour under Unix or not (I'm an NT
> kind of guy) but I think this is a bug: stat() with an empty file name
> returns 0. This is reproducible with:
>
> #include <sys/stat.h>
>
> int main( void )
> {
> int rc ;
> struct stat	statBuffer ;
>
>   rc = stat( "", &statBuffer ) ;
>   return ( 0 ) ;
> }
>
> When compiled with gcc 2.7-B19, rc is 0. The same code compiled with Borland
> C++ V5.02 returns -1.
>
> Is this a Unix-ism, or did I find an oops?

It's a bug in winsup, specifically in mount_info::conv_to_win32_path.
In this case, POSIX says that stat() returns -1 and errno is set to
ENOENT ("No such file or directory"). I'll send a possible fix to
cygwin folks for consideration.

Note that the error conditions returned by stat is limited in POSIX,
and I've seen code fail that expect SVR4 behaviour (much larger set).

Regards,
Mumit

-