AfterStep 1.4.4 on NT 4 problem

I am running M/IX as my X server on an NT 4/SP4 box, which is running Beta
20.

I can start up the X server using the "xs" command (which starts it without
a Windows Manager) just fine, and can run twm and fvwm2 and mwm without a
hitch.  However, when I try to start the AfterStep Window Manager provided
by the AfterStep 1.4.4 package, I get the following "CLI" output:

**************begin of output copy***********************************

Creating ~/GNUstep
        Licensed from the MKS Toolkit.
        Copyright Mortice Kern Systems Inc. (www.mks.com) 1985-1998
        All rights reserved.
mkdir: cannot make directory '//GNUstep/Library': Invalid argument
Please wait while getting GNUstep defaults from
/usr/share/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep...
If nothing happens after 30 seconds, please restart AfterStep!
'#%a '#%ap/Library/AfterStep: No such device or address

I'm not sure why it keeps trying to create the GNUstep directory, since it
is already created.  I do have what seem to be the proper directories under
usr/share/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep.  I have no idea what the beginning of
the last line means (the actual garbage output on the screen was the pi
symbol and the spade symbol instead of # and % but I don't know how to type
those).

Any help would be appreciated.

jdn

-