Re: A few simple newbie quests, any takers ??

On 29 Oct 98, John vanVlaanderen had questions about A few simple
newbie quests, any takers ??:

> MicroSoft OS from hell.   <= You got that right!

[snip]

> 1) Where is a coolview web site in the US ??

good question; his home site wasn't responding when I tried the
other day.  Anybody mirroring?

> 2) Which patches, dll's do I need to get xterms running correctly ??

Where you running an X-server? (I haven't tried that yet, but The
Xvnc port is supposed to be much faster than Mi-X)  I'm using rxvt
without any X-lib or server, and it works great - it doesn't have
as many problems as the DOS bash shell (the text/binary and CR/LF
stuff).  I posted my .bashrc and .profile the other day; let me
know if you want me to send it to you.

> 3) Has xterm and vi been fixed so I can get better width, my perl OO
> programs sometimes drift sideways.  If so, where is that stuff.

I haven't tried the cygwin vi, but ntemacs and gvim (both native
win32 ports) work fine.  Check my Tools pages for links:
http://www.rain.org/~sarnold

I've got a new Advanced Tools page up with some cool stuff for both
win32 and Linux/UNIX (VNC, GRASP, ROOT, etc).

> 4) My crashes have happened while doing redirection specifically from
> the console where I type:
> cat > file1
>
> and then hit the inject buttons on the mouse ( my word for paste )
> and then I zillions of MS type exceptions.

I still haven't got my mouse to do the X copy/paste stuff yet; the
redirection problems are probably due to CR/LF and the text/binary
mess.

> 5) My final crash, I think came about as a syntax error in bash, and I
> can recreate it if anybody needs me to.

Again, bash works better in an rxvt than it does in the DOS shell.
Also, things seem to work better if you just launch things from the
DOS bash and put them in the background (besides, if you're really
a unix guy, what do you want with windoze shortcuts anyway? ;-)

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm still learning all this linux/unix
stuff (ie, I couldn't fix a termcap problem, but I can get Xfree86
configured pretty good); I'm just now taking my first C class...

Keep trying...

Steve