Re: gcc produces foo.exe, not foo

At 12:59 PM 9/25/98 +1000, Ben Elliston wrote:
>> As for the rationale for adding the automatic .exe, I'm somewhat in
>> favor of, if not thrilled by, such "native compliance"; for mingw32, it
>> makes perfect sense (must have .exe to jive with native system and also
>> be executable by native shell); for cygwin32, bash can run programs
>> with or without .exe, but have trouble when running with native shell.
>
>Since MS seem to be trying to hide file extensions in their user
>interfaces these days, I wonder how long it will be before they drop
>the filename extensions on executables all-together and start using some
>attributes in the file system?

This day cannot come quick enough for me!  This bogus association junk is
a nightmare in my estimation.  Presumably, before any such move is made,
they have to at least provide the ability to store such attributes in a
useful way on all their file system types.  Since they seem willing to make
modifications to their file systems, even when they are not backward
compatible, this still seems like something they might do.  I'm all for it!;-)

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02482-7797               http://www.rfk.com
-