Re: gcc produces foo.exe, not foo

Arne Glenstrup wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Apologies if this question has been answered many times before, but I
> didn't seem to be able to find it in the mailing list archives via the
> search function.
>
> The problem is that it seems that when running
>
>   gcc -o foo foo.c
>
> it produces not a file named foo, but a file named foo.exe. This has
> caused me problems when writing a Makefile somewhat like
>
>   bar: foo.c
>           gcc -o foo foo.c
>           mv foo bar
>
> because it complains when trying to mv file foo.
>
> What is the standard way of circumventing this problem? Simply writing
>
>           mv foo.exe bar.exe
>
> is not a full solution, because that is not portable. Is it necessary to
> write some autoconf stuff to check what the extension of the executable
> resulting from calling gcc is?
>
> Thanx,
>
> -- Arne.
>
> -

We tend to deal with this in the following way.

1) Define an environment variable to contain some platform identifier (e.g.
ARCH=Cygwin32)
2) Create a file like the following called Cygwin32.mk

OBJ=.obj
EXE=.exe

The Unix equivalent (e.g. Sun5.mk) might be

OBJ=.o
EXE=

3)  Create your makefiles to include the platform makefile and use its
macros.

include $(ARCH).mk

bar$(EXE): foo.c
    gcc -o foo$(EXE) foo.c
    mv foo$(EXE) bar$(EXE)

Obviously, there are improvements to be applied in the use of make, the
$(ARCH).mk files can be put in a central location, you can do similar things
with compiler and linker flags, provide a means for directory-specific
platform settings, etc. to extend this to a full-fledged make environment,
but this is the basic technique.

--
Stephen Vance                           |  http://www.deneb.com
Deneb Robotics, Inc.                    |  mailto:vance@deneb.com

What is done well is done quickly enough. -Augustus Caesar

-