Re: I: gcc ... -U_WIN32 ... may cause problems

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> Perhaps -Dunix should be added to the define list whenever
> __CYGWIN32__ is defined?  Linux includes -Dunix and -Asystem(posix) in
> CPP_PREDEFINES (looking at gcc/config/i386/linux.h).

I see no problem in cygwin32 specs defining "unix", but I have yet to
see a good argument for getting rid of _WIN32 from x86-win32 targets,
especially from mingw32.

So far I've seen only a 2 or 3 posts suggesting we get rid of WIN32
(Earnie Boyd and someone else -- Larry Hall? Sorry, I can't remember),
but all of these were low on details as to why. If I'm missing a few
posts that you believe are pertinent, please feel free to shout.

Granted that lots of code out there IMO incorrectly uses _WIN32 where it
should be using _MSC_VER or BORLANDC or, better yet, autoconf style macros
(or some other similar mechanism) to define capabilities of host/target
system; I think over time we should be getting those packages fixed instead
of getting rid of WIN32 and temporarily masking the problem.

Regards,
Mumit

-