using GZIP

Dear Sir.

I need some help to understand how to use correctly the GZIP software . As I am Trying to expand the files of a C++ compiler that I have just downloaded from CIGNUS site, I hope you could tell me why the software doesn't work when I write GUNZIP -d file at the DOS prompt, but when I write GZIP it works. After combining the source files of CIGWIN32 I must expand the result.

Isn't GZIP used both to compress and expand files ?

Am I doing something wrong ?

pagliari@uol.com.br