Re: EGCS 1.0.2: weird include paths with gcc -b, specs, etc

Hi folks,

On 21 Aug 98, at 14:56, the Illustrious Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Fieldhouse, Dirk wrote:
>
> > ref: Earnie Boyd's http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Apr/0028.html
> >
> > I'm trying to set up a dual cygwin32/mingw32 environment with the egcs 1.0.2
> > cygwin32 binaries and being defeated by some strange behaviour with search
> > paths.
> >
> > The binary distribution of egcs-1.0.2 for cygwin32 seems to have some
> > hard-wired directories built into it, specifically
> >
> > 	../../../../../include
> > and
> >  	../../../../i386-cygwin32/include
> >

> Yeah, this is what I call the "Cygnus unlibsubdir" patch that is standard
> with Cygnus built distributions. Basically, unlibsubdir patch relocates
> the entire GCC package with only one env variable -- GCC_EXEC_PREFIX --
> and everything is accessed relative to that. This change affects the
> language drivers, cpp and proto tools only.
>
> As with any choice of this type, there are pros and cons. I had built the
> first mingw32 release without this, and hence you needed all the other
> environment variables to run. I supplied a bat file to make life simple,
> and then ended up answering so many email messages that I got rather sick
> and tired of it. So, for egcs-1.0.2, and it will be so for egcs-1.1, I
> added this patch and haven't received a single message about not being
> able to run GCC due to incorrect variable setting. I believe Earnie was
> the only person to voice his opposition to this, but then again, he is
> more than a casual user, and fully capable of rebuilding from sources.
>
> I need to weigh my time against other factors, and unless someone provides
> a different mechanism, while keeping the "relocatability" feature, I'm
> afraid this feature (or bug, depending on who you are) is here to stay.

	I am not sure what the situation is with Earnies platform.

	Mine is an i86/NT4 and has had the Posix utilities added from
the MS NT4 Workstation Resource Kit.

	This set of Posix utilities, if anyone would wish to re-build them,
 need to be built under NTFS.  The pre-built binaries themselves
function just fine in a FAT partition.

	The source and pre-built binaries are copyright to The Regents
of the University of California and based in part on BSD Networking
software licensed from the University of California, Berkeley.

	This set of utilities recognizes the "Cygnus unlibsubdir" as a
valid directory reference simply because it is a fully compatible
directory structure as far as the included Posix utilities are
concerned.

	As a suggestion, for those of you who do have problems with
this "Cygnus unlibsubdir" who _are_ using an MS/i86 based
platform might want to take note and see if you can get the above
mentioned utilities for your respective operating system(s).

	Hope this helps.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

Information Systems Consultant