crt0, crt1, _stderr, etc.

Can anyone tell me more about what crt1 and crt0 are?

Apparently, there was a crt1.o included in earlier
cygwin releases, perhaps 18.  It defines, among
other things, _stderr, _stdin, and -stdout.

B19 seems to have replaced it with crt0.o,  which eliminates
these.  crt0.o looks like a replacement for crt1.o,
because they both define _mainCRTStartup.

The respective versions of gcc include these respective
files in the ld command they issue, without being asked
by the issuer of the gcc command.

In B19, I looked systematically through all *.o and lib*.a
files and found no _stderr defined anywhere.
-