--subsystem, windows error

Hi

I'm trying to compile my first windows programme and have run into problems.
Looking through the archives I realise that I am not alone:)

My problem lies with the --subsystem, windows option. My compiler says that
windows is not an option.
I've tried -mwindows with the same result.

What causes this problem and how can I fix it?