Re: mounts, ls, and filename completion

I hope I can do this easily so that all can understand:

When you `mount -b D:/ /foo' the mounted reference is a logical
pointer to the D:/ root directory _NOT_ to the directory /foo on D:.
Therefore, when you do `ls /foo' you will also see the /foo directory
and you would be able to do `cd /foo/foo'.

Let us suppose that the `/' root directory is mounted to c:\ and that
/foo resides on c:\.  Let us now suppose you `mount -b D:/ /foo'.  You
still have a logical pointer to the D:/ root directory and filesystem
commands to /foo will look at the D:/ root directory and c:/foo will
not be used (usually).

As for confusing cygwin32, which one is it supposed to use?  It will
attempt to use the logical pointer /foo and usually does; however, it
is possible for it to use the physical directory /foo and occasionally
does.  When I was testing to respond to your querys, cygwin32 gave me
"permission denied" errors accessing such a mounted directory.

To help you understand the cygwin mount table, think of it more as a
symbolic link table than as a table of directories available for use
by the user.  To help you further understand, remember that you are
emulating UNIX, not using UNIX and that you are really using WIN32.

Hope this helps,
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------