Re: B19.1: tar -u option under NT 4.0 SP3 does not update properly

On a FAT filesystem there is only one timestamp and that is the date
of last access.  Therefore, when tar accesses the file it updates the
timestamp to the file and then will think that it has been modified.

---Jacques Lavictoire <lavictoi@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'm new to gnu-win32 so it might just be me but repeating a tar
job
> with -u should update only if the files are newer then the previous
> tarred files correct . But it keeps adding the files but they are all
> the same set of files exactly. An example is as follows
>
> bash-2.01$ tar -v -u /temp/ati/* -f /temp/test1.tar
> tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive
> temp/ati/DE5110C1.EXE
> temp/ati/MAKEDISK.BAT
> temp/ati/MAKEDISK.PIF
> bash-2.01$ tar -v -u /temp/ati/* -f /temp/test1.tar
> tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive
> temp/ati/DE5110C1.EXE
> temp/ati/MAKEDISK.BAT
> temp/ati/MAKEDISK.PIF
> bash-2.01$ tar -v -u /temp/ati/* -f /temp/test1.tar
> tar: Removing leading `/' from absolute path names in the archive
> temp/ati/DE5110C1.EXE
> temp/ati/MAKEDISK.BAT
> temp/ati/MAKEDISK.PIF
>
> After this you would expect, if I'm reading the help on tar properly,
> that I should only have one copy of the files since they haven't
changed
> at all. Is this a problem ?
>
> Thank You
>
> Jack
>

> --
>
>        Jacques Lavictoire Systems Support
>        Canada Centre for Remote Sensing, Natural Resources Canada
>        588 Booth Street, Room G3, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0Y7
>        Email: jacques.lavictoire@ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca
>        Phone: (613) 947-1366 Fax: (613) 947-1408
>

> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a
message to

==
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
--earnie_boyd@yahoo.com--