pipes and spawn

I'm trying to use the spawn family of calls to kick off a child process and then
have them communicate through pipes, but that does not seem to work.  For
instance (from memory... maybe not perfect):

int in[1], out[2];
int pid;
char *args[3];

pipe(in);
pipe(out);
args[0] = (char *) malloc (50);
strcpy(args[0], "/some/program/name");
args[1] = (char *) malloc (10);
sprintf(args[1], "%d", in[1]);
args[2] = (char *) malloc (10);
sprintf(args[2], "%d", out[0]);
pid = spawnv(P_NOWAIT, args[0], args);

This does not seem to work correctly and I'm not sure why.  It is as if the
pipe is
not open or something.  Can anyone offer any insights or samples?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig Setera
AS/400 Enterprise Java Development