RE: Cursor appears at start of line rather than end of prompt

>Why might it be, that my cursor appears at the start of each line
>rather than the end of the prompt? This was not true three days ago;
>I have changed lots of things and have no idea which might have done
>this.

Could it be that you have changed your filesystem to binary mode?

Probably your .bashrc has CRs in it which force the cursor to the
beginning of the line.  Create a new .bashrc with:

cat >~/.bashrc
echo Hello
[CTRL-D or CTRL-Z]

and then edit it.  Any half-decent text editor will recognize that it is
a Unix text file (i.e. without CRs) and keep it in that format.

--
Ed Avis <http://members.tripod.com/~mave>
-