problem with ming under cygwin19 bash

I installed cygwin 19, ntemacs 19.34, and current ming on my NT4.0 workstation
system. Things work fine if I run ming gcc under the NT command shell. When I
run ming gcc under bash it returns to the bash prompt without doing anything.
I obviously suspected environment variable differences but don't see anyhing
that seems significant except the $PATH variable. Can ming run under cygwin
bash? Do I need a wrapper or something which translates the path back to DOS
format?

Also: I would appreciate some feedback on my general strategy. I want to use
cygwin UNIX environment to port a complex UNIX based development environment
which builds a UNIX based product that needs to evolve gradually to Win95/NT
native. Also this product is intensely threads based. The ming compiler run
from cygwin bash under ntemacs seems the most reasonable place to start this
effort. I chose ming because historical comments on this list suggest it is
more thread safe than cygwin.

Assuming that this is the correct approach all I have to do is get the three
components of my strategy working together.

Thanks,

Steve Morris
sjm@judgement.com
-