Re: GNU-Win32 distribution question

On Sunday, 10 May 1998, Geoffrey Noer writes:

> Using RPMs would allow easy updating of specific tools which would be
> advantageous.  It would also make it easier for the Net to contribute
> packages.
>
> Opinions on how/whether to make use of the rpm system for GNU-Win32?

The b19 InstallShield-install (duh) was indeed a breeze, comparing to
previous releases.  But it is the only (Cygnus) tool i have to use
that's not command line based.

Using b18 with Sergey's inetd et al., i'd grown so used to telnetting
to NT boxes, that the b19 release made me realise again that when you're
working with windows NT, you get warped back in time, somewhere to the
dark ages of sneaker-net.

During b18 i made a port of rpm for my own use, but it was so broken that
i didn't want to distribute it.

Please go ahead and make rpm distributions.  Perhaps it would be nice
for some to have a dummy installshield wrapper?

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <jan@digicash.com> | LilyPond - The GNU music typesetter
http://www.digicash.com/~jan         | http://www.digicash.com/~jan/lilypond

-