Re: FW: Special Filenames AUX, CON, etc.

win95b
nope looks like current info to me ;^(

W95_C:\>echo me > \\.\c:\nul
File creation error

W95_C:\>

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:31:34 -0400, you wrote:

>According to the MS docs, the "\\?\" syntax is an NT thing only.  Perhaps
>this is now dated information.  I don't know.  I've heard others claiming
>that just using UNC is enough to cure this problem.  If that's true, I
>think its better to use this capability, since it is more likely to work
>for 95 as well.
>
>Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
>RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
>8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
>Wellesley, MA  02181                    http://www.rfk.com
>

>At 11:25 AM 4/11/98 +0400, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
>>
>>Any ideas? It seems reasonable to me...

>>doesn't have the capability to create/open files with special names (or
>>containing special names) like AUX. I was really surprised to see that
>>gnu-win32 doesn't properly open files with these funny names when the fix is
>>quite easy.
>>
>>To create/open a file with a special name, reference it like:
>>
>>\\?\C:\MyDirectory\aux
>>
>>instead of
>>
>>C:\MyDirectory\aux
>>
>>I tried this with the gnu-win32 tools and I was able to manipulate files
>>with special names with no problems.
>>
>>[The original purpose of the \\?\{FullPath} syntax seems to be a mechanism
>>to get NT to recognize a full path longer than 255 characters]
>>
>>I'm not subscribed to the mailing list and I don't have time to submit a
>>patch, but I thought you may be able to use this info to patch gnu-win32 if
>>you have the time and energy.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Spencer [please feel free to forward this along]
>>--
>>Spencer Low <spencer@lowtek.com>

Linux a platform built by, and for users, standing on
the firm legs of reliability, and speed.

Microsoft Windows, a platform without a leg to stand on.

(jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com)
delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply
         Mikey
-