RE: Motif/Xt/Xlib

Edward Avis wrote:

> I think there is now a version of WxWin which runs on top of GTK.
>
> There was somebody on this list a while ago who was porting the GIMP
> (and hence GTK) to Cygwin - how's it going?

GTK was easy to get going.  I think the only change I made was in the
makefile, to use -lXext as a ld flag. Anyone thinking about porting
GTK based software to Cygwin should take the plunge.

As far as my progress with the GIMP... I hacked enough of it into
running condition to prove to myself it could be done.  At this point
I am going back, and doing the whole thing properly (with CVS, etc.)
so that I can post the diffs (which are minor).  I still haven't
solved the plug-in problem I mentioned earlier, but Sergey's comments
about bash forcing pipes to be text mode make me wonder if that might
be a problem (as I have been running it under bash).  If someone
could get shared memory going under Cygwin it would help.  Anyway,
all of this takes a back seat to the day job, so progress is slow.

One other thing... anyone think that porting GTK to use the native
Windows API, rather than an Xserver, would be a good thing to to? An
easy thing to do?

Alexander Stockdale

-