Re: /etc/profile ignored; other strangeness

>From: "Tim Fisher" <tfisher@teamparadigm.com>
>To: <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Subject: /etc/profile ignored; other strangeness
>Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:38:37 -0500
>
>I have three questions, but they're all sort of related so here goes:
>
>1) Seems like bash ignores /etc/profile, so I have to explicitly source
it from
>the /etc/bashrc file. I don't have to do this in Linux. Is this by
design, or
>am I doing something wrong here?

You should read the bash.info file.  bash -login will execute the
/etc/profile file on startup.  However, with the -login switch it will
not execute the .bashrc file so, you will need to source it in your
/etc/profile file.

>2) My PS1 variable is set to PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ " but when bash first
starts
>up, the \W defaults to nil. It will update only if I change
directories, and
>then I get some strange behavior. This occurs only after first starting
up
>bash. After 'cd'ing around a bit, it settles down:
>
>[Administrator@CALIBAN ]$ cd usr
>[Administrator@CALIBAN usr]$ pwd
>./usr
>[Administrator@CALIBAN usr]$ cd incoming
>[Administrator@CALIBAN /incoming]$ pwd
>/incoming
>[Administrator@CALIBAN /incoming]$ cd /usr
>[Administrator@CALIBAN /usr]$ cd incoming
>[Administrator@CALIBAN incoming]$ pwd
>/usr/incoming
>[Administrator@CALIBAN incoming]$
>
>BTW, I have two partitions, one is mounted on /usr, the other on /.
Both
>filesystems have a root directory called `incoming', so if my current
directory
>is /usr, then a `cd incoming' should get me to /usr/incoming, not
/incoming.
>What is going on here?

I've noticed this also, it is a bug.  This will happen with all
directory resolution commands.  I have a /src and a /dir1/dir2/src
directory.  If you "cd /dir1/dir2/src; find . -name somefile" the find
command will also search the /src directory for the file.

To workaround this particular problem if you use `pwd` instead of \W
that it will work.  Be sure to escape the backquote when setting the
variable.

>3) As you can see above, the hostname of my system is printed in all
caps for
>some reason. I placed in my /etc/profile the following line:
>
>export HOSTNAME=`/NT/system32/hostname`
>
>which works fine on the command line and returns a lower-case version
of my
>hostname. (The cygwin32 version of hostname returns the hostname in all
caps--I
>don't know why.) Bash is supposed to use $HOSTNAME for the \h in $PS1.
Again,
>what is going on here?

Don't know about this one.  To workaround: instead of \h use
`echo $HOSTNAME`

>--Tim Fisher

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)