Re: mysterious bash problem

>From: Ulrich Lauther <ulrich.lauther@mchp.siemens.de>
>Subject: Re: mysterious bash problem
>To: earnie_boyd@hotmail.com (Earnie Boyd)
>Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 00:38:44 +0100 (MET)
>
>> It might help to see foo.  UNIX shell scripts must begin with #!
>only if you want to use a shell different from /bin/sh
>
>> /path/to/shelltoexecute.  If you were on UNIX you would then have to
set
>> the executable bit on the file properties/permissions.  The
cygwin.dll
>> layer tries to mimick as much of UNIX as it can.  Since the file
doesn't
>> begin with #! you will not see the executable bit set on the
permissions
>> as that is how it determines if the file is executable.
>>
>> I have noticed that the gnu-win32 bash will try to execute the script
>> even without the #! indicator.  This is a bug as bash should error
>> without this indicator.  For more information see the bash.info file.
>>
>the point that I do not understand is, that if I carry the script to
>another host (via floppy using cp foo //a) it runs just fine there
under the
>same gnuwin environment.

Well, first off, it can't be the "same gnuwin environment" because they
are on different hosts.

What does the mount tables of each host look like?  Do you have Sergey's
patches installed on each host?  What are the environment variables of
each host?  Etc...

Now that I've learned a bit of history, thanks to Fergus Henderson, my
best guess is that the file contains line terminators of \r\n.  One host
runs the file because it's mounts are text!=binary.  The other doesn't
because it's mounts are text=binary.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)