Re: performance of cygwin32

> Ed Peschko wrote:
> >
> > Win32 is slow, but network drives are *glacial*, at least with cygwin32
> > tools. I've installed the coolview update (when will it be incorporated
> > into the 'vanilla' cygwin32 tools anyways?) and it is going a bit faster.
>
> The "coolview" sources represent a state of the actual Cygnus development
> tree as of whenever that was made.  It's made more progress since then;
> right now I'm battling race conditions in the signal code...
>
> Right now I can do a complete configure of the compiler tools (including
> tcl/tk) in about 20 minutes and build them in an hour 15 min. which is a
> huge improvement performance-wise.  But signal handling isn't quite as
> robust as it needs to be...

Well, something must be seriously wrong with my configuration, because I was
seeing performance times of about 6-7 hours to do the same.

1 hour 15 mins is what I call slightly slow. 6-7 hours is what I call glacial.
I'd hit 'ls' and it would take about a minute to respond....

I could live with an hour to build all the tools, believe me. Its just the
going to dinner, then taking a nap, then playing two games of pool, and finally
coming back to the keyboard to see that the tools are *still* compiling
which is getting annoying.

Ed
-