Re: Why text=binary mounts (Re: Gnu-win32 (b18), coolview and NTEmacs)

Porting code from Unix to the PC should NOT require the same line
termination mode since most Unix code which reads text uses fread/getc
which automatically handle the end-of-line.  And from the replies of most
people i would argue that most of us would prefer to work in the native
mode of the operating system in which we are running rather than having to
constantly convert files between the two models simply because we use tools
from both operating systems under NT/95.  For examples of this
compatibility look at many of the GNU tools which handle text, the file
handling will work under both operating systems without any change because
they use text mode I/O which is platform independent once all files have
been converted to the form of the native OS.

... jeff