df anyone?

Does anyone have 'df' working?  I successfully compiled gnu/fileutils-3.16 but
df doesn't quite work yet.  It is looking for the mount table (/etc/mtab,
presumably) but can't seem to find it.  I hand generated this file and stored
it under /etc but still get the same error:

bash$ df
df: cannot read table of mounted filesystems

df does work if invoked with a target disk and from a directory located on that
disk:

bash$ cd //c/bin
bash$ df .
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
-                    1542208  986929   555279     64%

Any solutions for having this table maintained by a daemon process?

Thanks,
Thomas Dryden
Intel Corporation, Haifa Israel
tdryden@iil.intel.com