converting between UNC and NT files names?

Is there any easy way of converting between the unc used by the gnu tools for file names and the standard
NT file names? I would like to call native NT tools directly from shell scripts but all the file names I have
in variables etc. are in UNC format and the tools only understand the standard names.

Any help much appreciated

Kevin

-