Shell script performance

I have noticed that the performance of my shell scripts leaves a great deal to be desired. On
my Sparc boxes they trip along quite nicely - making the users happy but on much more powerful Intel
PII machines running NT - wow is it slow. Its certainly not the processors as the sparcs are little
hyperSparcs with 64M, the Intel is  dual PII at 300Mhz with 256M.

I guess this is a bash implementation problem to do with process creation which has been mentioned
on the group before. I have noticed that the uwin system runs quicker as does the OpenNT but I
would prefer not to go that way if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have any ideas if anything can/is being done?

Kevin

-