Subject: Re: Petzold Example
Author:  "Pedro A. Aranda Gutiirrez" <paag@tid.es> at Internet
Date:    11/19/97 7:38 AM

GBradfor wrote:

>      Yes, I confess!  I am a newbie Windows programmer!

Ok, and is there something wrong about it? In Spain we saythat noone was born
knowing (which in slang sound quite powerful) :)

>      As others posting to this list have confessed, I am attempting to get
>      the very first example in that classic, "Programming Windows 95" to
>      run using gcc.  Unfortunately, like the others, I am running into
>      problems even after reading the previous postings (I agree with
>      another poster:  a search engine would be darn handy).

Have you tried to install the Minimalist GNUWIN32? It'll make thingseasier and
Colin has a wonderfull introduction on installing and compiling
on his page. Just follow the link from Cygnus and download the Minimalist
files. Colin's page then points at two interesting places. One is in Germany
and features a CYGWIN.DLL free GCC for Win32 (very handy, feels almost
like DJGPP) and a place with and EGCS implementation for Win32 which
seems to run (at least GCC and GDB) seamlessly.

>          ld -o hellowin.exe hellowin.obj --subsystem windows -luser32 /
>                 -lgdi32 -L$(GCC_WIN_LIB)

This is living dangerously. Again, follow Colin's instructions, use GCC todrive
LD and things will be a lot easier for you.

>          A required .DLL file, j.DLL, was not found.

?????? Again, go for Colin's stuff. It'll be way easier.

Cheers, and happy programming

     |  ####   Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez                  |
     |  ####   ATM Networks Division                          |
     |  ####   Telefonica I+D          C./ Emilio Vargas, 6   |
     |  ====                           E-28043 Madrid, Spain  |
     |  ====   mailto:paag@tid.es      Tlf +34-1-337 47 02    |
     |  ====                           FAX +34-1-337 45 02    |