Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal) (fwd)

Here's the two best descriptions of the problems, that should probably
answer nearly all of your questions.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 12:56:21 -0800
From: Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To: Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
Cc: dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

Robert Eckardt wrote:

> Let denote "C" compilation with TC,
>            "1" a full crash (i.e. no reaction at all),
>            "0" Numlock and Ctrl-Alt-Del work,
>            "c" cold boot,
>            "w" warm boot.
> Then I found the wollowing pattern:   C 1 c 0 w 0 w... C 1 c 0 w 0 w
>
> It seems that it depends on what is in memory.
> It crashed completely when I had used TC first.

That makes sense, as the bug involes the bus-lock operation
The bus lock operation is invoked when a cache line of page TLB
operation is enacted. If a page is laready lleaded, or already in
the instruction-cache, then it may not need to do a lock operation..
 (or maybe it's the other way around/....
if the page is NOT alreay loaded it's OK :?
anyway..
you may find that if you add "0xc3" to the end, the '0' entries go away.