RE: Win 95 Console Stuff...

Mikey & al.,
	I apologize first for straying a bit from the central theme of console
concerns.  While I understand Sergei's position and its merit as a
technical recommendation, I tend to agree that some sort of recompense
would seem to be in order from the producers of this "Windows operating
system."
	I can't defend this position as passionately or as eloquently, but it does
seem that an incomplete product has been foisted on an unsuspecting
marketplace; it makes me wonder what the requirements are for a class
action suit.  The product is so bad that the producers have all but
abandoned it, lending probably only the legal minimum in support.
	While it is easy to muse over the availability of other choices, many of
us as developers had to respond to an opinion among our clients that
"nobody was ever fired for choosing Big Blue."  Microsoft has been making
the "prepackaged choice" in operating systems for small computers (largely
IBM and compatibles) since my first involvement with them, more than twenty
years ago.
	Realistically, I find great fault with the choice of "flash" over
"function" in the window-driven philosophy, but PC DOS 1.0 with all of its
bugs was vastly superior to CP/M (IBM's original choice), and DOS 2.0
included lessons learned from the building of XENIX.  Bill Gates was
impressed by UNIX features and _until_ considerable _USER_ flurry over the
"widgets and gadgets" of an operating system rather than emphasis upon
reliable functions, things seemed to be headed in the UNIX direction.
	In terms of "functional evolution," we can see leaps between PC DOS and MS
DOS 2.0 and from later versions of DOS towards Win 3.11 -- but the launch
of Windows 95 strikes me as a bungled overcommitment from someone who had
no appreciation for the ambitiousness of the technical undertaking.
	On the heels of the Win9x series that was produced too fast and released
too early, it does seem a little much to accept a remedy that not only
involves greater capital outlay for software, but for hardware acquisition
to support increased memory requirements.  While it is easy for a casual
user to say "Oh, stop whining -- just spring for NT and an upgrade," I just
came from a shop that will have to get licenses and upgrades for 200
machines just to run a package that is central to operation of the
business; I'm sure there are worse horror stories out there.
	In short, I don't think we can blame Microsoft for responding to market
forces, but neither should we be penalized for the obvious planning errors
in their production schedules.
	I feel sorry for the poor kids who had to crank this stuff out while the
rest of their lives went to pieces.
	Having put in my 37 cents, I'll shut up for another few months,
Ernie