"problem in exporting variables to sub-make in b18"

I am not able to export variables to the sub-make using the export
directive. Here is the test case

Makefile
--------

export TEST = yes
all:
	$(MAKE) -f new.mak

new.mak
----------

result:
	echo $(TEST)

Here i have Makefile and new.mak as two mak files. I tried this on UNIX
with b18 and it did work but did not work on the NT with same version
of gmake.

Could you please investigate the problem or give me pointers to where i
look to fix this error.

Thanks,
Anna.

-