Re: pathname conversion

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:34:05 -0700, you wrote:

>The same old features are there because there is an implicit requirement
>for backward compatibility. No, John Q Public generally doesn't care what
>the technology is underlying his filesystem, but he does care that when a
>new O/S upgrade comes out, that he doesn't have to
>
>1. learn an entirely new way of dealing with his files, let alone have to
>convert his hard drive to some new "format" for reasons he doesn't
>understand, and

Why not, They did it when NT and 95 were released neither VFAT nor NTFS
are the same as fat, but I notice that dos programs run just fine under NTFS
is it really that hard to emulate drive letters for programs that expect them?

What they should have done, instead of spending $80,000,000.00 on
publicity was spend $70,000,000.00 on publicity, and $10,000,000.00
on development of an emulator, after all they wrote the original API's
for dos win3.0 3.1 3.11, if they couldn't write an emulator with that
advantage, they must be even stupider than I thought. But then all those
3rd party programs that didn't use the API would have broken,
and maybe some of BILL's buddy's would have gotten complaints.

>2. spend a fortune to upgrade all his software so that he can use his new
>O/S.
>
>So it appears to me that what Microsoft did was to write software that they
>believed would sell (and in retrospect, certainly did). From a business
>perspective, they did the "right thing". From a technological standpoint,
>we'd probably all be better off if they'd broken backward compatibility and

My point is you don't have to break backwards compatibility to use new
technology, 8088 programs run just fine on P6's but MS programmers
apparently can't understand this.