Drive letter conversion (Re: pathname conversion)

  Hello GNU-WIN32

  I realized that different companies making "UNIX" for windows adopt
diff convention to manage "drive letter", but nobody (if I didn't
miss something) did adopt a "native" Microsoft "UNC" way.

  Would someone from Cygnus explain a reason for Cygnus solution,
namely why they decided to use the notation as follows:

  //<drive letter>/<the local path>

but not "native" UNC ( what should I do to access trhe share
"bin" of the computer "D" for example ? )

  //./<drive letter>$/<the local path>

  where //. just  means the "local host"

  Likely it is not too late to introduce this one as well ?

    With my best regards,

                         Valery
Dr. Valeri Faine (Valery Fine)