Re: using times()

Valery Fine wrote:

> On 22 Sep 97 at 14:15, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
>
> > Valery Fine wrote:

> > >   Probably like this would be better then just ZERO:
> > >

> > I'm not sure. Probably, it's better to return -1 and to set errno to
> > ENOSYS, rather than return incorrect value.
>
>   It would be as correct as the user's OS (namely Win95) provides
>   Since calling that API user wants (I guess) to estimate the time
>                                                  ========
>   and this incorrect value may help him but  ENOSYS ?
>
>   Anyway it can not be absolutely precise value for any system. There
> is some error anyway. This error will be large for Win95. For this
> case the
>
>                 "REAL exact value" <= "supplied"
>
>  and it will be not far from the real one if the user's system is
>  running a single process.
>
>  Is it wrong ?

I would say yes, you are wrong.  Sergey pointed out that the function
is not implemented on Win95.  Returning any value other than error
would be a mistake in my opinion.

I agree with Sergey's response and -1 should be returned on Win95
until it's possible to actually implement the feature.

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles