Re: bash performance not so gooood

Khosla, Deepak wrote:

> Hi,
> Just some comparison numbers on a large script I ran on Windows NT 4.0
> SP3 using some different packages:
>
> Gnuwin bash	- 2 mins 20 secs
> MKS ksh	- 2 mins 0 secs
> ATT UWIN ksh -  0 mins 20 secs
>
> Any opinions as to why?

I'm not surprised.

Very little time has been spent optimizing cygwin.dll or bash.
Bash currently uses fork() instead of spawn() which costs it
quite a bit of time.  The Cygwin32 layer also needs performance
analysis.  Until that happens, it will be slower than it needs to
be.

> Any ideas since at this performance, I would have to buy the UWIN
> package and I would prefer not doing it....

You could either buy UWIN or improve cygwin.dll and/or bash and send
us patches.  :-)

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com