RE: .def files for stdcall functions (was: linking problems with

On 17 Sep 97 at 15:45, Colin Peters wrote:

> Gunther Ebert[SMTP:gunther.ebert@ixos-leipzig.de] wrote:
> >Colin Peters wrote:
> >> My beef with all this is: why does GCC do it this way at all? What purpose
> >> does the @NN serve? After all, GCC knows how to generate the correct
> >> function call given a prototype, it *generates* the @NN, so it doesn't
> >> need it to know what to do.
> >
> [snip]

  MS used to supply just both kind of the entry points with its
library @NN AND  "plain" one as an alias of the first one. (at least
it is always true for MS Fortran.
It fits all needs I guess. I wonder COFF format allows aliases. Why
GNU tools can not employ the same approach ?

Dr. Valeri Faine (Valery Fine)