Re: Running X clients with MI/X

Tony,

> I tried running X clients your created ( like xclock.exe) with MI/X server
> on
> Windows 95 PC. I upgraded to patched Cygwin.dll.
>
> This is stand-alone PC, no network or modem connections to external
> TCP/IP network.
>
> MI/X server starts and runs fine. But all X clients I downloaded from your
> site
> return with error:
> Errror: Can not open display:
>
> Setting display in AUTOEXEC.BAT to :0, :0.0, localhost:0, etc.
> gives the same error message.
>
> Sorry for taking your time but I would appreciate some suggestion.
> I have some indications from MI tech support that I am doing something
> very strange but I fail to see what is so strange in wanting to run X
> client
> programs on the same PC where X server is running too?
> If you would enlighten me ...

I run local clients without having any network connections all the
time.  However, you must have some sort of TCP/IP support installed;
you usually don't get this unless you install some network component.

Do you have dial-up network installed? If not, go ahead and install it
- it will install the tcp/ip support you need in the process. In order
to use MI/X you don't need to start dial-up network, just the software
needs to be installed on your hard disk.

  Good Luck,

	Arlindo.

   |             ^|^                     ARLINDO DA SILVA            |
   |              |                     212 Lexington Drive          |
   |             _|_                  Silver Spring, MD 20901        |
   |     _|_|__________|_______/     mailto:dasilva@alum.mit.edu     |
   |    \  o o o o o o o  /                                          |
   |     \_______________/             Home: (301) 754-1121          |