'Less' help needed

I'm just checking if someone has seen this problem.  less does work
fine for me in the default 80x24 bash command window (with TERM=linux).
But when i alter the "layout" properties to have a screen buffer of
80x2000(lines) less, vim, etc all get confused and put the : at the top
of the screen, etc.  But when i go back to the "broken" way of TERM=ansi
although less gives me the standard error message, it at least scrolls
correctly.  VIM also is happy.

Any suggestions (other than enjoy the error message).

--
Tibor Polgar                                 Alteon Networks
tibor@alteon.com                             6351 San Ignacio Ave.