an x environment

Hi,
Having recently been transplanted from an X environment to
winnt, I am homesick and wish to recreate my old desktop.

My plan was enabled when Sergey ported rxvt, well, not just
ported but added a much needed /dev/tty interface.  wow.

fvwm2 ported without a hitch.

xemacs was quite a different story.  I managed to get
temacs.exe to compile, but only after I hacked out what seemed
like a very useless, and very system dependent code, called
unexec.c.  Turns out, to my surprise, temacs reads itself
and dumps out an executable copy, all via unexec.  hmm.

I poked around, looked at what emacs-19.34 did, tried a
couple things, but really, I was out of my leaque.  Are .exe
files in COFF format, or elf?   What happens in crt0.o that
has to be accounted for?  Can I mix the Win32'isms in unexnt.c
with the un-adulterated xemacs code?  Maybe I could lift
some .exe generating code from ld?

So for now I've given up, but maybe by posting this,
some guru will become intrigued and, while waiting for
a compile, will patch unexec.c and casually mention
it in an email to this list.

As a side note, I used "configure i386-cygwin-linux" to
get configure to work.  This got me thinking that since the
cygwin API is apporaching that of Linux, it may be possible
to write a loader that could execute native linux binaries
under cygwin, a la the WINE project only reversed.

Imagine, the whole Red-hat distribution ported to cygwin,
and no .exe extensions...

-steve
-