Re: What threads are available?

Mark A Gregory wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a program that I am converting from UNIX and it uses the pthread
> calls.
>
> Does anyone know how to convert these to something that will work using the
> cygnus tools?

I do have such a beast, although it is not in the form of a Unix layer,
but rather uses abstraction functions of this form:

int CreateMyThread( ... )
{
#ifdef WINNT
	thread = CreateThread( ... );
#endif
#ifdef UNIX
	thread = pthread_create( ... );
#endif
}

I have most of the pthread functionality including mutexes and condition
variables coded and semi-tested on WinNT. Converting these functions to
the Unix layer approach should be simple since I used the pthreads
arguments as the arguments to the functions.

However I'm swamped to the gills with my current workload and I don't
have time to look into this. I also haven't yet figured-out the
licensing issues on making the code or objects available - the GPL is
much too restrictive. If you're in a hurry, you could code these up
yourself, the Win32 approach is simpler than the pthreads way of doing
certain operations such as counting semaphores. I used the following