RE: Some VERY basic questions.

Jose Maria Gallego Sanz[SMTP:gallegsj@atreyu.inta.es] wrote:
>jfmiller@polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu writes:
> >
> > 1) I want to write original win32 programs and I'm not nessacely
> > intrested in porting anything. Do I need all of the cdk.exe stuff? and
> > could someone explain what is in all the (important) directories.
>
>I also subscribe this question, and I think there are more
>people subscribed to this list who would like to know the
>answer. In other words: is it possible to get just the GNU
>win32 gcc compiler? Please, explain how to do that.

You might want to check out the Minimalist GNU-Win32 (shameless
plug):

 http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/gcc.html

or

 http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html

You would still have to download the full cdk.exe to install, but
once you have it you can delete almost everything. The Mingw32
readme attempts to explain what is really necessary to run the
compiler (although it's not as complete as I would like).

Apparently Cygnus is looking at making GNU-Win32 a vanilla Win32
compiler with a UNIX-emulation option in the future. Hopefully
if that happens they will make it possible to download just the
compiler and tools necessary for ordinary Win32 programming
instead of everything you need to recompile the entire compiler
suite (though it is, of course, nice to have the option).

Colin.

-- Colin Peters - colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-