Re: Junk mail through Cygnus?

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, James Paul Morgan wrote:

> I received a rather annoying piece of junk e-mail today about internet
> "work from home" and some credit card from a8@mary-world.com.  What seemed
> odd was that it carried the standard footer for items sent through this
> mailing list, though the return address was not Cygnus.

It is because the sender guessed that Cygnus are using a standard
majordomo setup with gnu-win32@cygnus.com being the mailing address, and
gnu-win32-outgoing being the list of subscribers. It looks like it was
just sent to that address.

> Have other subscribers to the mailing list gotten this letter?  Is Cygnus
> passing out the email addresses of the subscribers to this mailing list or
> did this a8@mary-world.com get the addresses some other way?  If it's not
> going through Cygnus, why did it have the standard Cygnus footer?

I don't think Cygnus would give out list member email addresses (someone @
cygnus care to put something official on it); I think that the sender just
misused the mailing list for spam.

Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are

-