Cross compiling for a mips 4600

I know that this has been discussed several
times, however, I don't recall seeing results -- success or fail.

I need to target a mips 4600.

Should I attempt this on NT, or will I end up pulling out all
of my hair...

I have the FreeBSD build and host working, but it would be nice to
have a NT host compiler.

To those who tried... Should I attempt a host=nt and build=un*x first?

-chuck
-